Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Beach. My conversion story.

I used to hate the beach.

Wait, let's back up.

I used to actually love the beach. The warm sand, the sound of the ocean, getting a tan, wearing a sun dress, reading a book, playing games. It was relaxing and a treat to be able to get away to the beach.

Then I had 2 babies 15 months apart and that is when I started to hate the beach. My beach experiences consisted of spending 2 hrs getting ready for and trying to leave the house to get to the beach. Then trying to find free/close parking, lugging 3 bags, toys, umbrellas, hats, floaties, and one child that barley cooperates while walking and the other one that doesn't walk through 1 mile of sand b4 even seeing the ocean. Then I would spend 1 tortuous hour of chasing a 2 yr old and keeping him from getting swept into the ocean to certain death. All the while making sure my baby is protected from the sun and off the sand (because he screams if he touches the sand). Not to mention trying to feed them snacks that pretty much consisted of 60% sand and 40% food. Just to then realize it is nap time and start packing up to leave.

I was sure my beach going days were over. At least for about 8yrs that is.

And then enter Carmel River Beach...








At the end of a winding residential road is this little beach. It is an inlet so you aren't actually facing the ocean you are facing the green rolling hills of Carmel. Meanwhile you can hear the roaring waves crashing behind you. I parked (for free) walked 10 steps and plopped my things down. Dane ran strait to the water and was able to safely play in the water and sand. Mikey miraculously decided that he is okay with sand now and joined right in on the fun.

Some of our sweet new friends that invited us showed up shortly after we did and all the kids played happily while we chatted and snacked. It was amazing. My love for the beach has been restored and I'm so excited to go back again (as soon as it warms up above 65! Geesh it is cold up here).

Now on my wish list is one of these and one of these.

3 comments:

Braden and Jodee said...

Gorgeous! Love all of the pictures! Sounds wonderful :)

barlow.stephanie said...

Love the pics here. You guys are having so much fun so fast.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Beautiful photos again!

I'm glad you found a nice, safe beach for the boys. I'm sure this will help them love the beach too.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Who has been here

Who's following us?