Monday, November 29, 2010

My Thanksgiving morning

I woke up early Thanksgiving morning even though I was planning on sleeping in but, that's okay because I was really excited for Thanksgiving to finally be here. I snuggled up on my couch with a hot chocolate in my favorite mug (thanks Erin:) and started to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade(as is tradition).

Then I get a phone call... *Don't answer the phone, don't answer the phone, don't answer the phone*

I answer the phone...
Resident:"Someone has left their laundry in the washer too long." said in a annoyed, this is your fault tone.
Me:"Okay, well just go ahead and follow the posted Laundry room rules, if it has been in there for longer than 5 min, pull it out and put yours in"
Resident:"I don't want to touch their laundry"
Me:"Well then at this point there is nothing I can do... It is Thanksgiving and we are actually closed."
Resident:"Oh, sorry."
I hang up the phone.

Snuggle back up on the couch. *No big deal, It was just a phone call. Now, back to the parade*

30 min later. A knock on the door. *Don't answer the door, don't answer the door, don't answer the door*

I answer the door (in my pajamas, no make-up, crazy hair).

Resident: "There is water coming from outside the laundry room and it is flooding the laundry room"
Me: "Okay, thanks for letting me know." as I'm closing the door, running to put some clothes on, and grabbing the phone to call the owner.




(It's hard to tell in the video, but there is 3 inches of water covering the entire laundry room and water heater room.)

Well, an hour and gallons of water later the laundry room was back to normal.

In the middle of trying to keep the water from leaking into the next door neighbors apartment, calming all of the on-looking residents down, trying to talk to the non-English speaking maintenance guy, and worrying about being electrocuted I was half in tears and half laughing.

Of course this would have to happen on my one true day off.

Of course it would happen on a day that my husband wasn't feeling good.

Of course the water would be coming out of a place that I have no idea how to turn off.

After all was said and done, my Thanksgiving weekend was surly not what I would have planed. Not at all actually. But, sometimes Heavenly Father puts us through trials and situations that may seem absolutely wrong when standing in the middle of it. But, when looking back lessons are learned, friendships grow, faith is strengthened, laundry room floors get really clean, and we become a little more like the person we want to be.

I didn't do a "things I am thankful for" list leading up to Thanksgiving. Mainly because It would be to hard to narrow down just 25 things. So, here is a list of things I am thankful for that came from my disastrous, I mean eventful weekend.

I am grateful for:

a sense of humor
my job
my sister-in-laws
my good work ethic (Thanks Mom!)
best friends
my close relationship with Heavenly Father
that I didn't get electrocuted
the fact that the laundry room floor is the cleanest that it's ever been
my family
my health
it was water from the pool not from the sewer
prayer
my camera
my dog
forgiveness
family photos
Fruit salad


I hope you had a Happy (dry) Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Shawna Faye said...

Man! You are way more positive than I would be. Sorry you had such a sucky Thanksgiving. But just think, now you've gotten all the suckiness out of the way and you can have a fabulous Christmas season.

Soni said...

What?! How did water from the pool get into your laundry room? Did you guys have an earthquake out there that we didn't feel??
Glad things are better for you now and I hope Shawna is right about all the "suckiness" being out of the way and Christmas being fabulous!!!
Love you!!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm thankful that I'm a renter and not an owner.

I'm glad it all got fixed and taken care of and I'm pretty sure Shawna's right. It's going to be a GREAT Christmas!

Trena said...

I feel your pain all too well Marly! I definitely needed to hear your positive thoughts. I glad it was all taken care of!

Braden and Jodee said...

Glad it worked out :) And you looked fabulous at Thanksgiving dinner <3

Anonymous said...

Whew! I would never have answered the phone... or the door. I would have pretended not to be home! That said, seems you handled it fairly well. You couldn't have been that out of sorts if you had the frame of mind to grab your phone and record it for posterity! I would have been crying from the second I saw it!! Good on you!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Who has been here

Who's following us?