Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Big Hunk of Love. Big Sur.

Is it possible to have a love affair with a place? 

If it is (which I'm pretty sure it is) than there are two places in this country that have my heart.

My long time fling is New York City. It's been so long since we have seen each other *sigh* and I hope to reconnect soon. A first love is really hard to forget.

My new lover? Big Sur. 

While driving down the coast, winding back and forth and up and down the 1 and marveling at the luscious landscape, taking in the dramatic contrast of ocean waves crashing to my right and majestic mountains rising to my left, I took a deep breath and exclaimed "I'm in love".

It was love at first sight. Some would say love at first sight isn't possible...to that I say phooey. It absolutely is.

The air was filled with the scent of sea water and pine (with a hint of citrus) and I could feel it calming me down and bringing me to a happy place. 

Our destination was a water fall. My sister was in town for a few days in transition to moving back to South Carolina and had a bucket list of things to see in Northern California. One of them being McWay Falls in Big Sur. 


Big Sur is a easy 30 miles south of where we live (seriously, I'm in heaven) now so we jumped in the car, picked up 2 baskets of sugary sweet fresh strawberries and hit the road. Stopping along the way to snap some pictures, we arrived at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in about 50 minutes. 

I strapped Mikey on my back with my Moby wrap. Which is, by the way, no small feat and involved several laughing fits from the peanut gallery. But once accomplished was perfect for hiking. 

The 4 of us made the short hike to the falls and just took in all of it's beauty. 

I wish I could have taken more pictures but standing on the edge of a cliff with a squirmy 2 year old and a baby on my back I snapped what I could and then just tried to burn the moment into my memory. 

We hiked a little longer and found a place to stop and eat strawberries to our hearts content. We laughed, ate, and talked then packed up and headed home. 

It was too short. Much to short. But sometimes the best first dates are the ones that leave you wanting more. 

I will be back soon, my big hunk of Big Sur love.

What city has your heart?















xoxo


3 comments:

Erica Locke said...

Oh goodness, the 13th picture! I love how the tunnel is framing Dane. What a cute post and I love your writing style. Very fun to read! And, now I need to go see that waterfall too!

cantare_21 said...

Ummm...do I need to be worried?

Karen M. Peterson said...

Big Sur is so beautiful. I haven't been there in years!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Who has been here

Who's following us?