Monday, June 16, 2014

Wrap it up!

 How many baby wraps/carriers do you have?

I have 5.

Is that normal? It seems like I need a different baby carrier for each stage/age that the baby goes through and activity that we are doing and then add in the particular preferences of each baby and a girl can get a little out of control with buying carriers.

Luckily, to my husbands wallet, I have been able to purchase mine used or was gifted all of them.

The one I wanted to talk about today is the Moby wrap. I know people that swear by this wrap and pretty much live in it.

If I did that I would most likely die of heat stroke. Man that thing is hot! And I'm not talking about hot like Thore hot, I'm talking hot like sitting in a sauna and sweating hot.

Then add in carrying around yards and yards of fabric, trying to remember how to tie it, having to readjust every 30 min, and the inconvenience if you are running errands and having to get the baby in and out several times I pretty much gave up hope with this one.

I mean, come on, wouldn't you?

Then we moved to an area where there is a plethora of gorgeous places to hike and I was once again trying to figure out which carrier to pack. I crossed off my front carry and side carry ones first. That just didn't seem like a good way to carry a baby and hike. Then crossed of my back carry one because I couldn't find it...I hate moving. And I was left with the Moby.

I did some research on Youtube and found a back carry wrap and gave it a shot my first time hiking.

It was a disaster. I forgot some of the steps and we (of course) had no signal where we were to look it up. So, I did my best through multiple laughing fits and comments about being a hippie mom and off we went. Mikey kept wiggling out and I was uncomfortable. However, I saw potential!

This past weekend we went up to Big Basin State Park and I was determined to try again. This time I watched the video 4 times and made notes.

With the help of my husband we successfully wrapped us up and it was seriously the best! I wasn't too hot because if you notice that there really isn't much fabric in the front of you. Mikey was snug and well supported against my back which made it easy to carry him for the 2 miles that we walked.

The key in this wrap is: when you tie the first knott....tie it TIGHT.

Like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind  or Elizabeth Swann in Pirates of the Carabian when they are tying her corset tight. "I can't breath!"

 I had Aaron yank on it till it seemed too tight then kept it tight while we did the next couple steps. After it settles it will be perfect.

So I am now a believer. Wrap it up and tie it with a bow.

Wana try it? You can always purchase the Moby new at all major baby stores but I recommend going to your nearest kids consignment store. They always have them. (Most likely because lots of mom's give up on it about the same time I did. That time being right at sweaty and confused.) 

After that watch this video a few times and practice it before you plan on going somewhere and wrapping it. Or take notes like me.

Just for future reference...when (God willing) I have the next baby, I want this carrier. Let's make it an even half dozen, shale we?

Don't even get me started on how many strollers I have....
 


 


1 comment:

Rebecca M said...

Your life looks so fun up North!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Who has been here

Who's following us?